Qualifications and Experience
I am a Certified Copy Editor, having exceeded 80% on the requisite Editors’ Association of Canada certification exams.
I have worked as a writer, researcher, and editor for more than 30 years. The last 10 have been devoted almost entirely to editing.
I enjoy fine-tuning
information to concisely fit clients’ needs. My skills in grammar, plain language, and consistency are well suited to assignments requiring high degrees of
clarity and readability. The variety of subjects I have handled has given me a wide knowledge of local, national, and world issues. I can work independently or be a steady team member.
House of Commons
As an editor of Hansard and
parliamentary committee evidence, I am responsible for clarity,
coherency, and good grammar and punctuation, as the spoken
word becomes a written record.
The Conference Board of Canada
On contract, I provide ongoing copy editing and proofreading
services for the Board’s research reports, briefings,
marketing materials, and forecasting documents.
Canadian Nurses Association
As a contractor, I provide regular copy editing and factchecking for Canadian Nurse magazine.
Canadian Institute for Health Information
As a contract copy editor, I help perfect the detailed reports that inform health policies, support the effective delivery of health services, and raise awareness among Canadians of the factors that contribute to good health.
As a writer and/or editor, I have completed projects for Industry Canada, Human Resources and Social Development Canada, Environment Canada, and the Canadian International Standards Board.
The Conference Publishers
As an editor, writer, and/or project manager, I ensured consistent high quality in hundreds of reports, edited/coordinated many corporate newsletters, and worked onsite with a range of clients in Ottawa and beyond. Below is a sample of my clients:
- Inquiry into the Sponsorship Program and Advertising Activities (Gomery Commission)
- Ontario Power Authority
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy
- Transport Canada
- Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada (Romanow)
- The Transplantation Society
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
- Canadian Blood Services
- Treasury Board Secretariat
- Canada Border Services
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- The Stephen Lewis Foundation
- Canadian Heritage Foundation
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- National Education Association of Disabled Students (NEADS)
- Health Canada — First Nations and Inuit Health Branch
- Health Canada — International Expert Advisory Group on Risk Modelling
- Natural Resources Canada
- World Association of Public Employment Services (WAPES)
As a writer, I collaborated on projects for National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy. As an editor, I fine-tuned the course material for an advanced copy-editing seminar.
The Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton, Environmental Services Department
As a writer, researcher, and/or editor, I had a role in every piece of consumer information produced by the Solid Waste Division, over a five-year period: brochures, information sheets, press releases, collection calendars.
As a researcher and writer, I worked on the documentary sections of the Heart Institute Telethon, over several years.
The Hill Times
I functioned as a staff writer, in a self-directed internship.
As a researcher, I provided material for business-related magazine articles.
Canadian Consumer magazine
As a writer and researcher, I interpreted data and wrote a feature article based on a huge national survey.
Ongoing professional development:
- Ryerson University Certificate in Publishing courses: Copy Editing; Editing Government Reports; Production of Books, Journals, and Reports
- Editors’ Association of Canada professional development seminars: have completed all seminars offered by National Capital Branch
- Carleton University: Editing and Production, 1984
Bachelor of Arts, English, Carleton University, Ottawa, l970
Elementary and secondary education in Québec, Ontario, and England
I am a member of the Editors’ Association of Canada (EAC). I have served on the local and national executive bodies and am currently helping with EAC publications.